January 10, 2015

The End of an Era

Change is inevitable. My favorite restaurant is closing and another one will be built. My job description at work seems to be evolving all the time. People come and go, pack their stuff and leave. Construction work is taking place nearby where I live and again the flow of traffic has changed. In fact there is no flow really at all. If there is, it is slow (yes, there is a speed limit of 40) and that usual daily journey from A to B takes 10 minutes instead of 3.  In the big scheme of things 10 minutes is nothing really.Absolutely nothing when you compare to for example what events just took place in Paris. But certainlyit is inevitable that nothing stays the same forever.
" Everything you have, you lose, right? Mother, father - gone. Good looks, Pryzwarra? - gone. Loved ones gone in a second. That's what this job teaches you, isn't it? No matter what, no matter how hard you grab onto something - you still lose it, right."
Doug Carlin in the movie Déjà vu.
 
Then it is my turn to think about future and packing my earthly belongings again one day. But I don't want to! This is my home and I don't want to go. It feels as if it is the end of the world. How could I possibly leave my horse, my special friend, my belongings (those that I can't pack with me) and the last eight years of my life? I have spent more than 10 years in Saudi Arabia and this has been one of the greatest experiences in my life. I wish I could have sort of realized that a bit sooner, not after > 10 years here, but I guess it's better late than never.
I've got to lay down.. Despite of flu vaccine, I seem to have caught runny nose and sore throat from somewhere. Thank God I have no fever. Well.. I may have had low grade fever yesterday, but nothing today. Just very fatigued. If it's just a common cold that's ok. Anything worse, that's not ok. If I went to ER complaining of these symptoms, I'd probably end up in isolation room.
 
"Please let me take you
Out of the darkness and into the light
'Cause I have faith in you
That you're gonna make it through another night

Stop thinking about the easy way out
There's no need to go and blow the candle out
Because you're not done, you're far too young
And the best is yet to come."
- Nickelback: Lullaby

No comments: