January 23, 2018

How to survive post-RAI (radioactive iodine treatment) era

To be honest, I don't remember when exactly I had the RAI. 2010..? 2011? No, maybe it was in 2012.

Memories fade and I don't remember every single detail. I do remember some though: feeling sick to my stomach, taking three showers, because I felt I had to scrub the iodine out of my body. I drank a lot of water. I remember the plastic zip-lock bag, where my iPhone, the only link to the outside world, was sealed in.
I remember the nursing staff leaving my food tray outside the room and I didn't know it was waiting for me there. Needless to say, I was pissed off with that.

Now, years later, I've suffered from tooth decay and cavities, which I've never had before the RAI. I've looked after my teeth very very well all my life, visited the dentist, dental hygienist etc.  To my horror the dentist in Dubai last year discovered a cavity, the first ever and I'm close to 40 years! I wasn't supposed to have cavities or any sort of dental issues.
I'm convinced it was the RAI that changed something in my saliva... or did some other kind of damage.

I don't know what else it did to my body, but the teeth: please look after them. Make sure you do it even better than before and visit your dentist and the dental hygienist. Ask about dental hygiene before and after the RAI. Even better, keep a notebook with you and write your RAI doctors' and nurses instructions there in a language you understand.
I don't remember anyone mentioning dental issues, but if they did, it's long forgotten.

Eat well, sleep well, even after years from RAI.

Try to attend the follow-up appointments, so you are not left in the dark.
I made a decision not to have more scans, endocrine appointments, oncology appointments etc. My primary care doctor monitors the thyroid function tests and we are okay with that... but I am planning to ask for an appointment for endocrine follow-up next time I see my GP. Years pass by and even my conscious decisions and opinions change.

By the way, if you think counseling would help you post-RAI, please please get a referral. It has helped me tremendously. So many emotions surface just after RAI and it's so helpful to talk things through with someone.

No comments: