May 26, 2008

Pain

This is just a pain in the back after having a bad night sleep in what must be one of the most uncomfortable sofa beds in the world. Aaargh. It took time and effort to roll of the bed in the morning and right away I knew it was Tylenol time- and as promised magic T relieved the pain pretty fast. It was nowhere near the worst pain in the world and my pain threshold is high, much higher than few years ago. Worst kind of pain, one of them, must be eye pain. No way you can scratch or massage an eye, would this even relieve the pain? Writing from experience, I had laser eye treatment in 1997, successful I might add, and managed to ditch both contact lenses and eyeglasses, so it was definitely worth it. Well I miss my colored contact lenses but overall am very happy contact lenses belong to the past. After the treatment I went home, woke up following night with incredible eye pain!! Frantic search for painkillers, half an hour later the pain was still there, painkillers made me throw up too. I was finally forced to peel off the dressings and eye patch and did my best with painkiller eyedrops. After the second attempt (imagine doing this in the middle of the night, in the darkness, bright lights simply worsening the pain.. red painful weepy eye, exactly where you are supposed to "drop" the eyedrops..) I think one or two drops hit the eye, relief was almost instant, aaahhh. Eye dressing back on, back to bed.. 2-3 days later I took the dressing off and to my surprise I could SEE! Albeit with just one eye, but it was a miracle. My left eye was operated three months later and I was little better prepared and suffered no pain whatsoever. These days my eyesight is nearly perfect 20/20, so it was worth the investment.
Sure, there are many more types of pain in this world, we all experience it in a different way.. bone pain, headache, toothache, pain caused by heart attack.. yes, many of them worse than my eye pain more than 10 years ago...


No comments: